Monday 1 June 2015

After Action Report: ACW (Longstreet; battle #5) 31 May 2015


This was the 5th battle (mid 1863) of a 9 battle mini-campaign using Longstreet rules by Sam Mustafa (Honour Publishing). I commanded the Union force, whilst Ian commanded the Rebels. Previously in the mini-campaign I was ahead by 3 victories to 1 defeat, and in each battle the defending force had won. The composition of my Union force can be viewed in my previous blog post. I’m sorry but I forgot my camera (and mobile phone), so there are no pictures.

 We randomly selected the ‘Cornfields’ scenario and the terrain placement was fairly neutral; another area of standing crop filled the central section with intervening corn, and the flanks each had a small wood and an area of rocky ground, none of which had a major impact on our deployments or strategy. Each side had an objective maker placed centrally. The attacker (Ian’s Rebs) had to deploy first. He concentrated in the central section of the battlefield, advancing in column, sheltering behind the obscuring tall crops. I also deployed centrally, keeping 6” back from the crops with my Napoleon artillery battery placed on the Objective marker. I deployed my Light Rifle batteries on the flanks with some weak infantry units as protection. I kept some of my infantry in a second reserve line behind my centre, allowing me to easily re-deploy if Ian tried any fancy flanking moves. My strategy was to sit back and await the Rebel onslaught as they came out of the corn. I wanted to shoot the enemy down as they charged, and not to get involved in a close fight inside the corn fields. The only downside was that my artillery superiority would not help me because the corn prevented any bombardment of the Rebels as they advanced. It soon became clear that Ian was going to attack my centre and the game would hinge around whether or not I could stop it! Card management would be key.

Sure enough, the battle was effectively decided in couple of hectic turns. Ian carefully gathered his forces at the edge of the corn and then charged out. I fired everything I had at him, boosting the effect with a ‘Devastating Fire’ card (re-roll failed hits); I caused significant casualties which Ian partially mitigated using up valuable cards. On the next turn, Ian charged using the ‘Rebel Yell’ card and close combat ensued. Both my flank units (45th Ohio and 13th\14th Pa) were pushed back, taking casualties, but my central eager-veteran unit (37th Pa) and Napoleon battery (9th Pa) held firm. I was slightly concerned at this point but I had shot a fair number of Rebels on the way in. In my next turn I again blasted the Rebs using ‘Withering Fire’ (re-roll failed kills) and again killed many. I had yet to use my reserve units (14th & 88th NJ) and Ian’s weakened forces again had to charge. This time I played the ‘Seen the Elephant’ card which reduced Ian’s hand of cards by 3, and then boosted my defence using the ‘Stonewall’ card. The rebel attacks were beaten off, and the number of stands he lost meant that I was declared victorious!

This was a comfortable Union win. I can take little credit because I simply stood back and took the assault. My limited action meant I could build a strong hand of cards when the charge came. I don’t think there was anything wrong with Ian’s plan; my reserves would allow me to re-deploy to meet any flank attack, and a central assault did benefit from the cover provided by the crops. The rebels charge could possibly have been better: playing a ‘Thick Smoke’ card could have reduced my shooting to only skirmish levels; maybe playing ‘Old Rivals’ could have disrupted my lines, moving one of my units out of position; also playing the card allowing units that shot to move or charge would have helped.

I did not get to use my ‘Sabotage’ advantage from the previous game because the Rebels did not need to re-shuffle! Both sides gained 4EP’s (2 each for playing, 1 each for holding an objective, plus I got 1 for the win and Ian gained 1 for charging with more than 10 bases), and I have a narrow 20–18 EP lead. I gained a promotion to 3 Eagles, whilst Ian remained on 4 Eagles. In terms of reinforcements, I gained some more Light Rifles, a 10 base Coloured unit and some veteran sharpshooters. Because I lost few bases in this game, my base count for the next game increased to 50, which is significantly more than the 44 minimum size!

My Union force available for battle number 6 will be:

Commander
Personality
Rank
EP’s
“Art” Rooney
Indian Wars Veteran
(Scout: 2D6 & keep higher)
3 Eagles (2/63)
20
Unit
Type
Elan
Exp.
Strength
Notes
9th Pa Artillery
ART
-
-
2
2x Napoleon
37th Pa Infantry
INF
Eager
Veteran
6
 
13th\14th Pa (Prov) Inf.
INF
Season
Veteran
6
Sharpshooters (5,6 Skirm Fire), Hero
16th\45th Ohio (Prov) Inf.
INF
Caut.
Veteran
5
Sharpshooters (5,6 Skirm Fire)
26th NJ Artillery
ART
-
-
3
3x Lt Rifle
29th NJ Artillery
ART
-
-
3
3x Lt Rifle
14th NJ Infantry
INF
Season
Recruit
4
 
88th NJ Infantry
INF
Season
Veteran
5
 
7th US (Coloured) Inf.
INF
Eager
Recruit
10
 
12th NH Infantry
INF
Season
Veteran
6
Sharpshooters (5,6 Skirm Fire)
 
 
 
 
50 bases
 
 

Notes: The 40th Pa (an original unit) has been totally destroyed. The 45th Ohio has been merged with the 16th Ohio, but lost the Hero figure as a consequence.

No comments:

Post a Comment