Monday 2 November 2015

After Action Report; ACW (Longstreet battle 6) 1 November 2015


This was the 6th battle (late 1863) of a 9 battle mini-campaign using Longstreet rules by Sam Mustafa (Honour Publishing). I was again commanding the Union force against Ian commanding the Rebels. Previously in the mini-campaign I was ahead by 4 victories to 1 defeat, and in each battle the defending force had won. Would the pattern continue? The composition of my force can be viewed in my previous blog post (May 2015). I’m sorry but I again forgot my camera so there are no pictures.

 We randomly selected the ‘Crossroads’ scenario and the additional terrain placement mainly resulted in one flank (my left) being blocked by a marsh and stream. An objective maker was placed on the central crossroads. I was again the defender (having the ‘Indian Wars Veteran’ characteristic is very useful) and deployed first. In the centre, on the objective, I placed a 2-gun battery of Napoleons and a 3-gun battery of Light Rifles. In each of the flanking cornfields I placed some veteran infantry with the ‘Sharpshooter’ characteristic, giving them a greatly improved skirmish fire ability. My left flank was relatively lightly defended, and my right flank had another 3-gun battery of more Light Rifles (my army has developed a strong artillery component!). As a central reserve I kept my large 10-stand US Coloured troops who had the ‘Eager’ characteristic, ideal for a counter-charge situation. Ian was faced with a dilemma; a flanking attack would avoid my artillery heavy centre, but would take time and allow me to easily deploy my reserves to counter. The chances of taking the objective would be slim. The other alternative would involve a head-on attack which may achieve victory although at a high cost.  Ian choose the second option and focused on my centre left sector.

The opening stages of the game were evenly balanced with Ian’s artillery taking a toll of my Union troops whilst my artillery concentrated on counter-battery fire, which was eventually successful. The rebel attack hit trouble as it closed, my veteran ‘Sharpshooters’ proved their worth and were supported by canister from my artillery. Rebel losses began to mount and the only chance of victory was to launch an all-out charge across the whole of the left-hand side of my line. A total of 5 or 6 Rebel units came in against 3 or 4 Union units. I was able to play the ‘Stonewall’ card which gave me an extra 2 dice in combat. At this point I threw really good dice, nearly all scored a hit, whilst Ian’s scores were fairly average. So, although I seem to often bemoan my poor luck, on this occasion I have to admit to being favoured by the dice-gods! All Ian’s units retired with losses and this took the total to a winning position for the Union.

 6 games into the mini-campaign the Union have 5 victories compared to the Confederate 1 victory, and the defender has won every battle. Interestingly, the Union only lead by 24 to 21 Epic Points, and Ian’s general has been promoted to 1 grade higher than mine (due to his ‘Political Influence’ and ‘Savvy in the Whitehouse’ characteristics)

After the post-battle procedure, my Union force available for battle number 7 will be:

Commander
Personality
Rank
EP’s
“Art” Rooney
Indian Wars Veteran
(Scout: 2D6 & keep higher)
3 Eagles (2/63)
24
Unit
Type
Elan
Exp.
Strength
Notes
9th Pa Artillery
ART
-
-
3
3x Napoleon
37th Pa Infantry
INF
Eager
Veteran
5
 
13th\14th Pa (Prov) Inf.
INF
Season
Veteran
5
Sharpshooters (5,6 Skirm Fire)
16th\45th Ohio (Prov) Inf.
INF
Caut.
Veteran
5
Sharpshooters (5,6 Skirm Fire)
26th NJ Artillery
ART
-
-
3
3x Lt Rifle
29th NJ Artillery
ART
-
-
3
2x Lt Rifle, 1x Hvy Rifle
88th NJ Infantry
INF
Caut.
Veteran
3
 
7th US (Coloured) Inf.
INF
Eager
Recruit
7
 
12th NH Infantry
INF
Season
Veteran
6
Sharpshooters (5,6 Skirm Fire)
8th Maine
INF
Season
Recruit
6
 
 
 
 
 
46 bases
 
Priority card: add 4 ‘Dummy’ action cards to deck in next game.

Notes: The 14th NJ , with its Hero, has been totally destroyed. The new unit is the 8th Maine.

No comments:

Post a Comment